After Atlas was forced to carry the heavens on his shoulders, Orion began to pursue all of the Pleiades, and Zeus transformed them first into doves, and then into stars to comfort their father. The constellation of Orion is said to still pursue them across the night sky.
- Maia, eldest of the seven Pleiades, was mother of Hermes by Zeus.
- Electra was mother of Dardanus and Iasion by Zeus.
- Taygete was mother of Lacedaemon, also by Zeus.
- Alcyone was mother of Arethusa by Poseidon.
- Celaeno was mother of Lycus and Euryplus by Poseidon.
- Asterope was mother of Oenomaus by Ares.
- Merope was the youngest of the seven Pleiades, and was wooed by Orion. In other mythic contexts she married Sisyphus and, becoming mortal, faded away. She bore to Sisyphus several sons.
All of the Pleiades except Merope consorted with gods .